February 2022 Newsletter•
Posted on February 25 2022
I had a conversation with a distant relative a while back who remarked that “people who worry about their appearance and what to wear are shallow.” This struck me as misguided and judgmental. While I was tempted to react (my first thought was what Susie would would have said to Larry in Curb Your Enthusiasm...), I chose to just smile and let it be what it was.
I enjoy getting dressed in the morning and believe that taking the time to be intentional about it is a form of self-love and self-expression. My taste has changed and evolved throughout the years, but investing in quality clothes that fit have always been important to me. My days are full of constant interactions with family members, friends, professionals, clients, etc. How I dress and what I choose to wear sets the tone for the rest of my day. I know myself and dress for me, not to impress anyone.
When I am dressing you - knowing about your lifestyle, family, likes/dislikes…etc, helps me to identify which clothing will best compliment your body and who you are INSIDE. Making you feel good about yourselves and helping you accentuate your essence is what makes my work fulfilling.
Getting dressed should be the "finishing touch" of presenting yourself to the world. Whether you are running errands or going to a cocktail party, it's always nice to feel put together. Know who you are. Pay attention to not just your body but also your mind and soul. They should be in alignment. It is essential to your well-being. Take good care of all three and you are on your way to living your best life and becoming your best self.
Hope to see you soon.
Once a week TAKE TEN MINUTES (you can do this!) and just look through your closet to see what you have. Familiarize yourself with your clothes. You will be surprised at what you find... We forget what we have.
When looking through ASK YOURSELF, "why am I not wearing this piece?" There is always a reason. Maybe it isn't steamed/pressed, has a stain on it, you never liked this piece, it needs to be altered, or it's too big or too small...
Now TAKE ACTION - every piece should be ready to wear. Steam that shirt, hem the pant, take that stained sweater to the dry cleaners. Keep a few favorite too big/too small pieces, and donate the rest.
- What do I consume? Keep in mind that 80% of what you see on the average grocery store shelves isn't food and isn't going to fuel your body.
- How and do I move my body daily?
- Can I control my thoughts or do they control me?
- Who do I interact with? Remind yourself that being in your company is a privilege, watch who you give your energy to.
- What does my day look like? Minimize your TV time and social media. Find good reads, have more meaningful conversations, and spend time outside (even for ten minutes when it's cold).
- Look in the mirror - what do you see? Are you kind to yourself? Don't forget to accept/adore and LOVE what you see, especially the "flaws." No one else could or should do it better than you.
- Most importantly don't forget to LAUGH and find humor daily. It's everywhere :)